Monday, June 18, 2012

Monday's Menu

Tonight's dinner menu is Chili Dogs (minus the buns), coleslaw & creamed summer squash.  I love easy summer meals!


My coleslaw recipe is nowhere near ready to actually be shared - but tonight's was pretty good.  I will keep working on it.  :)   Tonight it was cabbage slaw mix from a bag, mayo (regular & cracked black pepper), red wine vinegar, salt, a tiny pinch of splenda,  a tiny bit of mustard powder, some celery seed powder and a bit of salt.  This recipe still needs to be refined before I share it though! 

The chili I got out of the freezer...I like to make big batches of soup - especially Chili and White Chicken Chili - and then freeze the leftovers in small containers for lunches and easy dinners.  :)  I will be sure to share those recipes next time I make a batch, as they are both staples in my household.  I just warmed the chili up in the microwave and served over boiled hot dogs with cheese on top.  We have been getting the natural hot dog varieties lately with no added nitrates & preservatives. 

So tonight's recipe I will share is Creamed Summer Squash.  It is something my Mama used to make and today was a day for thinking about my Mama a lot.  Anyway...it is more of a throw together dish rather than a full-on recipe but I will try and duplicate what I did and hopefully it will work for you too! Measurements are definitely just estimations as the size of your squash and own personal tastes may vary. 

Creamed Summer Squash
3-4 small to medium summer squash (yellow crookneck, zucchini, etc), sliced
1 - 2 Tbsp butter*
1/4 c to 1/2 c cheddar cheese, shredded*
1-3 Tbsp milk (can use regular milk, a bit of cream or powdered milk)*
salt & pepper
*The amount of butter, cheese & milk you use will depend on the size of your squash and how creamy or cheesy you like it.  

First get a medium-sized pot and sliced your squash into the pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.


Simmer the squash until they are fall-apart tender.


Drain any water remaining from your squash.  If you are using powdered milk you can leave just a bit of the liquid (maybe a tablespoon).  Add your butter & mash the squash and butter until creamy. I use an old-fashioned potato masher for this.


Add the milk & stir until mixed together.  Tonight I used a bit of whole milk (about 2 Tbsp) and a teaspoon of powdered milk.  If I don't have regular milk in the house, I will use all powdered milk instead.
Then stir in the shredded cheese.  Season with salt & pepper to taste and serve up!


Enjoy!  This takes me back to childhood; a nice little side for the summer...especially if you have lots of summer squash in your garden.  :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment